Monday, February 5, 2007

Journey of love - II (Morning Sickness)


The first rays of the morning sun crept from between the spaces of the Bamboo blinds, catching me unawares. I winced, and turned around, under the down feather covers of my bed. Slowly, I caught a subtle scent. With my eyes closed, a smile came across my face. My hand moved underneath the cover, feeling the soft bed linen. I stopped my hand when I felt the crumpled, yet warm side of my bed. I pulled over the bed covers, and looked at the pillow at my side. There was a slight cavity in it. I picked up the pillow and caught a whiff of its scent. It was that familiar fragrance. I got out of bed, and moved to the window. Those blinds were irritating me, waking me up from my dream world. As I adjusted the blinds, I watched the room go dark. Yes, this was more like my dream world. Fatigue overcame me, and I slowly lumbered to bed. I fell backwards, only to be caught by the softness of the bed. Suddenly, I heard the music player turn on, and play slow and beautiful Blues. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I touched it, holding it gently. It was warm, and VERY soft. Sensing someone come closer, I looked through the darkness.

“Hi honey,” I heard a voice say, softly, “slept well?”

My eyes were still not accustomed to the dark, but my hands reached out and touched the softest skin on any cheek. I heard a small giggle that simply raised my spirits. It seemed like a new day every time I had this wake up call. Feeling her soft satin cheeks, I mumbled in satisfaction. “What time is it?” I asked her quietly.

“Its six thirty, dear.”

“Hmmm…. I guess I can call in sick for just one day.”

Gently, I tugged her arms and pulled her to bed. She giggled softly as her head rested softly on my arm. Slowly, and gradually, I could see her face clearly. Her eyes were closed, and she was breathing softly. I used my free hand to prop a pillow against my head, so I could see her even better. The faint light that shone through the blinds was just right. As I gazed at her face, I saw her face streaked with ruffled, yet silky black hair. With my fingers, I lightly brushed off the curly strands of black hair that fell on her face. As I did that, I could faintly spot the freckles that dotted her skin. I slightly pinched her soft and supple cheeks, and I felt it tighten as she smiled. She turned her head and looked at me in the eyes. I could barely see her pupils. They were well hidden between her adorably soft and puffy eyelids. With my fingers, I softly caressed her lids. “Honey,” I whispered, “can I ask you something?”

“What is it dear?”

I smiled mischievously as remarked, “How come you have all that baby fat in your eyes?”

She paused a bit, and then let out a short laugh thumping me in the chest. I recoiled, saying, “Hey, what was that for?”

“Just for the fun of it. You are crossing the line.”

“Oh really? What’s wrong with that?” I questioned, coming close to her.

“Don’t get me started. First, you ar…”

I silenced her, putting a single finger to her lips. She looked at me, smiling as though she knew what was coming. And she guessed right. I looked into her eyes, and held that gaze for a while. Then I closed in on her, into her open arms. After a tender moment together, I rested my head by her side. We spoke a few words, and she told me of her previous day. This was by far the best part of the day. Nothing would ever compare to the tenderness we always shared at the beginning of every new day. Cradling me holding her, she asked me what I was going to do about work. I thought for a while, brainstorming for an excuse. But as I laid my head just below her neck, I found myself in another dilemma. Trying to concentrate, all I could get was the fragrant scent that emanated from her luscious locks, feeling the softness and firmness of her warm skin and the slow rhythmic beat of her heart. My head rose and fell on her heart as she heaved with every breath. Her nimble fingers roved through my messy hair, soothing my scalp with her touch. I gave in to the sensation, forgetting to think about an excuse. She whispered softly in my ears, “Honey,” she said lightly, “it’s a quarter to seven now.” I opened my eyes, and looked into her inquisitive eyes. “Hell,” I said, stretching my arms and wincing, “I am so sick and tired today.” Suddenly I opened my eyes, and stopped. She gave me a questioning look. “What’s wrong?” I thought for a while, and told her excitedly, “I think I got a plan.”

I reached across the bed and searched for the phone. I cursed under my breath. I love cordless sets, and I can NEVER get over the habit of placing the cordless set at all the places other than the phone pad. Pressing the intercom, I managed to trace the set to the kitchen. Crabby and drowsy, I willed myself out of the bed to retrieve the set. To my luck, all the rooms were dark, including the kitchen. I picked up the phone, and dialed my office number. “Martha? Hi, it me,” I said, trying to sound as weak as possible, “Listen, has Jimmy turned up?” “Ok, when he comes, tell him that I called. I don’t feel too well now, must be food poisoning.” I hear footsteps tiptoe towards me. “Yes, ok Martha, I will get the medical certificate.” “Right, I will be careful. You too take care, bye.” As I disconnected the phone, I felt her arms embrace me from behind. “Did they believe your story?” she asked me. Turned around, and gestured sheepishly, saying, “Piece of cake. I told her that it was something like morning sickness.” I laughed it out. She was quiet as she embraced me. Sensing something different, I held her, and asked, “Hey,” I poked, “why the show of ‘special love’?” She looked up and smiled. “It’s a strange coincidence.”

I released her and looked at her. “I don’t understand. What’s strange?” She wrapped her arms around me again, this time her grip was firmer and passionate. “It’s a weird coincidence that we both had ‘something like morning sickness’ today.” I laughed it out, and then, paused. It had hit me late. I lifted her head and looked into her eyes. There were tears welling up. “Honey, are you ok?” I asked her worried. She nodded and smiled as the tears trailed her cheeks. I looked closer into her eyes, and a smile came across my face. “Are you for real?” I asked her, excitedly. “As real as I can be, ‘big daddy’” she gushed through her tears. I went berserk. I lifted her off the floor, dancing around the kitchen. I put her down on the sofa, placing my hand gently on her tummy. Caressing her tummy, I told her happily, “You are going to be a mamma.” “And you are going to be a papa.” she said as more tears poured out. I got up and came closer, “Hey honey,” I said softly, “don’t cry sweetheart.” She looked at me and said, “I love you, honey.” I smiled, embracing and kissing in reply. “I love you too, darling.”

No comments: